Anytime that either the Powerball or Mega Millions goes over $150 million, it is a smart investment to place a bet. That is because as unlikely the chances of success, the odds of winning against the amount won makes this a necessary bet. Now, this isn’t to say you should purchase anything more than $20 to $30 on lottery tickets when this event happens. This is just the best time to try to win a jackpot.
The odds are that someone will win after $150 Million. Every once in a while, this next drawing (Wednesday Night) will fail to produce a winner. If that happens, all heck will break loose because the jackpot will be closer to $300 million!
How Can I Pick the Winning Lottery Numbers?
I love this question. As if this wasn’t all luck. There are a couple of valid points that I must make:
1) First of all, you should pick your own numbers. I know this is probably just superstition, but you should be lucky and don’t let the computer draw numbers for you. I don’t know what the statistics are on this, but most of the winners stories begin with “I’ve been playing these numbers for X number of years.” I don’t hear very often that “The computer randomly gave me the winning numbers.”
2) There are a couple of sets of numbers to avoid. The easiest one is to avoid are the “Lost” lottery numbers: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42. There are times where several of these numbers will hit and people make money; however, it would be the worst set of numbers to actually hit the jackpot with.
3) Other numbers to avoid are the ones that are the most popularly picked. According to studies, these numbers are 3, 7, 9, 11, 25 and 27. The least used numbers include 20, 30, 39, 40, 41 and 48. If you use one or two of those numbers, there is a much less likelihood of splitting a jackpot with another person.
4) Choose a pair of numbers. According to studies, 50% of the drawings for Powerball or Mega Millions have a pair of neighboring numbers (such as 23 and 24). However, three consecutive numbers appears only 10% of the time.
5) Avoid a sequence of numbers. Don’t get patterns of numbers that is easy for someone to duplicate. Obvious examples of this would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 or 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, etc.
6) Have a range of numbers. Don’t group them all together within a 20 number range. You should have a good mix of odds and even numbers and the total sum of the numbers you select should be more than 115 and less than 185.
7) Stay with the same numbers. I’m not saying to do this indefinitely, but you should keep the same numbers for at least 10 times before you give up and try again.
These tips will give you the best chance of winning a big prize and not having to share the numbers you picked with other people.
If you are going to use several different sets of number, just remember the advise above in addition to the following: The best way to pick multiple numbers is to use a “Round Robin” type of betting strategy. You should select your favorite 8 to 10 numbers and make several combinations from those numbers.
Global Lottery History
The existence of lotteries in the U.S. is still in its infancy compared with the vast history of global lotteries. Looking to its beginnings, there are illusions to lotteries and lottery-type games that are thousands of years old.
The first evidence of lottery games traces back to Asia where an Ancient Keno slip was discovered. First played in China, the funds generated from this game helped to fund the building of the Great Wall.
In the villages of Europe, wagering began as a form of entertainment. The public would gather in the center of town to wager on just about anything. Soon governments realized the popularity of this practice and began to tax gaming to generate funds for public works.
U.S. Lottery History
When America was settled, the colonists brought their heritage and their love of wagering with them. Lottery revenues were responsible for the building of much of America’s infrastructure, particularly along the Northeast Coast. Many of the country’s most prestigious universities, such as Harvard, Yale, and Brown, were built with lottery revenues.
Lottery revenues were also helpful to the first U.S. settlers in times of crisis. Lottery revenues funded many of the armaments and purchases made during the Revolutionary War.
The support of such notable individuals as President George Washington ignited a rapid growth in U.S. lotteries. The Louisiana Lottery, one of the most successful lotteries of its time, ran tickets all over the country through the pony express and mail post. The quick expansion of this interstate lottery eventually opened itself to corruption and fraud leading to the temporary demise of lotteries in the U.S. In the 1800s Congress issued a federal ban of interstate lotteries, ending lottery operation in the U.S. until the 1960s.
It was during the 1960s that legislators in New Hampshire decided that state’s revenue problems could be solved by funds generated from a state lottery. It was also decided that with some of the printing technology at that time, a lottery would be secure and have integrity, unlike the lotteries of the past.
The success of the New Hampshire Lottery and the automated system was closely watched by the states of New York and New Jersey. Shortly thereafter, these states started up lotteries.
While the original objective of automation was to ensure security and integrity, an unforeseen advantage was the offering of lottery via a distribution network. This distribution network enabled the sale of lottery tickets close to the time of the drawing. It was this rapid response service that fueled success in the lotteries in the 1970s.
Modern Day Lottery
In the past couple of decades, most of the individual U.S. states have the lottery in one form or another. Each state will have it’s own Daily lottery draws for 3 and 4-digit numbers. But the Lottery world has particularly revolved around the massive multi-state lotteries, particularly the Mega Millions and the Powerball.
Win or lose, the dollar you spend on your Mega Millions ticket benefits the state where it was purchased.
- On average, 35% of all Mega Millions ticket sales go to support government services in the member states. Those services could be local public education, public health, college scholarships, aid to counties and cities, or whatever that state chooses.
- Approximately 50% of every dollar wagered goes back to the players as prizes
- Approximately 5% goes to retailers who sell tickets. The remainder is used for lottery administrative costs.
Originally, you could only play the Mega Millions in 10 states in the East Coast and Midwest; but now you can play Mega Millions in any of the following 43 States: Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington State, Wisconsin and West Virginia.
The Powerball is the West Coast’s version of the Mega Millions. Like the Mega Millions, it originally was a multi-state lottery in only a handful of states. Now, the Powerball can be played in 44 states. Florida is the only state that offers the Powerball lottery but not the Mega Millions.
More and more people purchase their numbers online instead of going to a local store.
Take a look at all of the different international lottery jackpots that are offered
There is no mistyped tickets or waiting in line when you purchase your tickets online.
I know I might not have the perfect voice but I have had a mistyped number on my ticket on several occasions.
You don’t have to worry about any of that when you play lotto online!
It is very easy to do, as well. All you have to do is sign up with a lottery website like WinTrillions and you will have access to many different international lotteries such as the US Powerball and Mega Millions as well as Euro Millions and the UK National Lotto.
You will have access to buy all of your online tickets in one place.
All you have to do is pick your lucky numbers and buy your tickets online.
Jackpot Lottery Online
I found a very good resource for different online lottery jackpots called JackpotLotteryOnline.com.
Not only can you find out when the next draw is for any of the major international lotteries, but also the latest lottery results all in one place.
One of the features that I really like is that you can choose to set up a subscription to your favourite lottery game and choose the same numbers to draw each time without having to fill them out each time.
There are 1, 3, 6 and 12 month subscriptions and you won’t have to worry about missing a draw!
Another good option for UK Lottery players is to get your tickets from a betting site like BetFred.com.
Why would you want to buy lottery tickets from a betting site?
You should buy lottery tickets from a betting site like BetFred instead of a shop terminal because that gambling site will pay out a higher percentage when you hit.
For example, if you match 3 numbers at BetFred, you will get over £700! BetFred not only offers the National Lotto, but also the Euro Millions and 9 other international lotto. The next UK Lottery Saturday draw will be worth £725 for a £1 ticket with 3 correct numbers.
No technique can guarantee a winning way of how to pick lottery numbers, but some methods seem to have greater success than others. Why not try out the ways outlined below when you pick lottery numbers. Who knows, it could make all the difference and begin to turn your fortunes around. I can give you some insight into how to pick lottery numbers in the Powerball lottery and the New York State lottery, so let me share with you a few of my ideas.
- You have to imagine that the lottery is a series of sequential numbers instead of just a series of random numbers. We both know that it is all random, but just look at it as a series of sequential numbers for the purpose of this exercise.
- Next you need to think about how good you are at picking the lowest number that is selected for the drawing. I played the lottery for years and this is how I looked at it. I would notice that it seemed easier to tell if the lowest number was going to be a low digit number or not.
- Now try and focus on trying to pick the first number in the series over the next few weeks instead of trying to pick every number. You will see that you are probably right about it more often than you are about picking other numbers. If you could get a better sense on which days the lowest number was going to be number three for instance, you would eliminate a huge number of combinations of guaranteed losing lottery numbers.
- The last part is to look for patterns that show up when a certain first number comes up. You will find that there appears to be patterns where certain combinations of first and second numbers come up more frequently than others. What if you could pick the right first and second number in the series?
This isn’t the Holy Grail on how to pick lottery numbers, but it is a system that has been successful to a degree with a lot of people, so why not give it a try and see what happens.
Picking lottery numbers can seem like a bewildering and complicated task…. So, can choosing a formula for picking lottery numbers make a difference to your chances? Nothing can compare to the sensation of cashing in your one dollar lottery ticket for a multimillion-dollar check. But considering that the lottery itself is random and that no strategy can be 100% guaranteed, is there any point in using a formula for picking lottery numbers. Why worry about it? Your best option to increase your chances of winning is to buy more tickets.
Here’s a few help points to consider when picking lottery numbers.
- Picking lottery numbers can be as simple as choosing from your personal preferences.
- The most important thing to remember about the lottery is that everything really comes down to chance. You may think that people who play certain special numbers are more likely to walk away with the grand prize, but this is untrue, they just happen to play the lottery more, so chances are greater that more of them walk away with the grand prize. If you think you fit into this category, and like to play your own numbers, here are some ways to pick them:
Use family members’ birthdays.
Stick to the numbers you use on a daily basis, like telephone numbers, a street address or the price of your favorite snack.
- Randomize it! A lot of lotteries let you ask for random cards. These are great if you are in a rush, or simply can’t decide which numbers to pick. Remember that the lottery itself is random, so it really doesn’t matter what number you pick. However, it may be pretty frustrating to see your family members’ birthdates appear for the following Wednesday’s pick. If you opt for the random approach, you may have had the winning lottery numbers another round, but simply didn’t pick consistently.
- Remember that the more numbers there are to choose, the more likely it is you are to lose. There is an exponential difference between picking six and seven numbers.
- Look at past winning numbers. If you really enjoy statistics and probability, look for patterns in these lottery tickets, and use that information for the best lottery numbers to pick.
The most important thing to remember with the lottery is that the odds are against you, and it is always random. Have fun when playing the lottery, but don’t let yourself get carried away. You could rely on a formula for picking lottery numbers, or just pick randomly, but only bet what you can afford to lose and that way you will stay in the game longer.
It’s just as important knowing what not to choose when picking lottery numbers, if you want to increase your chances of having a win. Just by knowing which number combos are losers, you can get much better at picking lottery numbers.
1. Avoid quick picks as these have a poor success rate.
2. Avoid picking lottery numbers thoughtlessly or foolishly, because stats bear out that using a strategy always works best and improves your odds.
3. Avoid number combinations that have been drawn before. Many players bet numbers that have won someone else a big jackpot, but this usually results in them not winning.
4. Avoid consecutive numbers. Never play five or six consecutive numbers and even the prospect of four consecutive numbers winning is a rare occurrence.
5. Avoid betting in a set of tens. Never choose all your numbers from a set of tens group, such as all single digits, all teens, or all 20′s, etc. All five winning numbers drawn from a set of tens is highly unlikely.
6. Avoid pattern betting as this is a very popular way of marking betting slips. Patterns done in rows, either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally tend to get heavy play, so even if they do win, you’ll be sharing the jackpot with loads of other winners. Other designs like patterns of initials or numbers or crosses also get heavy play.
7. Avoid number multiples. Number multiples, such as, 5-10-15-20-25 and 7-14-21-28-35 also suffer from getting heavy play, so again the same problem as above, you will end up sharing the jackpot with this type of betting too.
8. Avoid identical last digits. Heavy play causes problems again, so avoid numbers that have all the same last digits, like 2, 12, 22, 32, 43. People do this because the last number is supposedly a “lucky” number. Even four same last digits occur in a minute percentage of all drawings.
9. Avoid low number combinations. Anywhere from 1 to 31 is best to avoid in combinations, because people play birth dates and anniversaries or their children’s ages. If you play only the calendar numbers, you might be sharing your jackpot with dozens of other winners.
All these points lead to the conclusion that a proven strategy works best for picking lottery numbers, so do your research and think about what you are picking, then you will increase your chances of getting the life changing win you’ve always dreamed about.
Learn some valuable tips for picking lottery numbers.
Don’t pick the numbers, which have already won. It is especially important that you do not pick the winning numbers from a recently drawn game. The chance of those same numbers coming up again is very, very unlikely.
You also do not want to give your money away to a service, which tells you that they can provide you with a formula for picking lottery numbers. There are a lot of these services out there and they are simply ripping people off. The truth is that if they knew how to choose the winning numbers then they would be playing the lottery instead of running a business.
Another thing to keep in mind is not to choose numbers, which are all even or odd. The statistics show that most of the winning number combination’s have been a good mixture of both odd and even numbers. You should also not choose in a numeric sequence such as 5, 10, 15, and 20. This is one way to really stack the odds against yourself.
Many people choose numbers that include their family members dates of birth. Not a great idea as months only go up as high as 31. When you stick to keeping all of your numbers below 31, you are reducing your chances of choosing those winning numbers.
Another mistake many people make is to choose a pattern on the play slip. They will choose all of the numbers in a straight line and think this is an original formula for picking lottery numbers. In fact, many other people also do this. This means even if you were to win, it would not be a very big amount since you will be sharing it with so many people.
If you have picked some numbers you feel very good about, it is ok for you to play them week after week. Many people feel that just because those numbers did not win that week then they must not be the numbers for them. This is not true and those numbers may actually come up during any game on any given week. So, if you are really feeling those particular numbers, keep playing them each week.
Choosing to let the Quick Pick system select your numbers is not a bad idea. Many people think that they will not win if the system picks the numbers for them. The truth is that quicker pick numbers have won more in the past than numbers which people selected themselves through the use of a system.
5 Steps On How To Pick Winning Lottery Numbers
The lottery is a dream come true for the lucky few who win. Most winners have a system in place so they know how to pick winning lottery numbers.
While the odds of winning the lottery are the same, knowing how to pick winning lottery numbers might just swing luck your way. Read on to learn how picking lottery numbers could lead you to the jackpot.
- Step 1
Use numbers that are important to you. You might pick the numbers of a birthday, an anniversary or a series of your favorite numbers. You could use numbers that are important to you because of your relationship with someone, or the street address from where you grew up as a kid.
- Step 2
Pick random numbers. Not everyone likes to use the same set of numbers each time. You can vary your plays by picking the first series of numbers you see on the day you buy your ticket. Many lotteries now offer you the option to buy a ticket with randomly assigned numbers.
- Step 3
Find out your lucky numbers by using astrology patterns. You can also look at your horoscope in the newspaper for your lucky numbers. Many websites will help you do further research into auspicious numbers based on astrology.
- Step 4
Another great method on how to pick winning lottery numbers is to study past winning numbers. Most lotteries have an archive showing past winning number combinations. You can reuse a winning series, or you can study the numbers for patterns.
- Step 5
Apply a delta system to the numbers. A delta system calculates the difference between each number in your series by starting with your first two numbers. You will find the delta for all of your numbers. Most deltas should be between 1 and 15. Start with your favourite number and then add the delta of your choice to find out what your second number should be.
One of these methods could be the answer on how to pick winning lottery numbers, so why not give them a try and see if your luck changes.